The list of reasons travelers rank Charleston as one of the top destinations in the country is quite extensive. Mild year-round weather, Southern hospitality, amazing history, and one of the most dynamic culinary scenes in the country. Just to name a few.
In addition to helping you explore the city’s most popular activities and attractions, our concierge team can arrange one-of-a-kind experiences—ones that guests typically would not find on their own. We asked our team to share a list of their favorite gems that they’ve planned for guests through the years.
1. A private walking tour of Charleston’s exclusive gardens in the historic district, by native author and expert, Louisa Pringle Cameron.
2. A tee time at either the Seabrook Island or Daniel Island Clubs, both which are closed to the public.
3. A private “behind-the-scenes” carriage ride at Middleton Place Plantation (reservations are not normally accepted).
4. A charter of the sailing yacht, The Fate, which is a privately owned 49-foot Beneteau that sleeps up to six people.
5. A private driving tour of “Little Jerusalem” by a member of Temple Beth Elohim, the oldest reform synagogue in the world.
6. An exclusive “behind-the-scenes” tour of the Calhoun Mansion.
7. Private tours of artists’ studios as well as introductions to the artists themselves.
8. A private historic district tour via bicycle with native authority Harlan Green—author of six books on Charleston history.
9. A morning or afternoon of horseback riding along the beach at Seabrook Island.
10. A private flying tour, either by Cessna or helicopter.
11. For a special occasion, a private dinner in a historic home with a famous local chef.
Have you enjoyed any of these hidden gems? What others would you recommend to locals or visitors? We would love to hear your thoughts!
Maybe your idea of the perfect vacation is charting the open seas on a 49-foot yacht with friends and family. Or perhaps challenging your culinary skills and spending an evening with a famous local chef is more your forte. Whatever it is that you wish to do during your stay in Charleston, the concierge team at Belmond Charleston Place is here to make it happen for you.
Our concierge are well-versed in all things Charleston and can offer recommendations on where to find the most savory Lowcountry cuisine, provide directions to Charleston’s grandest attractions and open doors to activities not typically offered to Charleston visitors. Here at Belmond Charleston Place, we would like to make your stay with us an unforgettable experience by helping you discover the charming, hidden parts of Charleston that are typically not otherwise open to the public. All you have to do is ask!
Below is a list of excursions we can arrange that guests may not find on their own.
For the gardener: Exclusive private walking tour of Charleston’s private gardens in the historic district, by native author and expert, Louisa Pringle Cameron.
For the golfer: Tee time at either the Seabrook Island or Daniel Island Clubs, both of which are closed to the public.
For the sailor: Charter of the sailing yacht, The Fate, which is a privately owned 49-foot Beneteau that sleeps up to six people.
For the theologist: A private driving tour of “Little Jerusalem” by Fran Bennett, including Temple Beth Elohim, the oldest reform synagogue in the world.
For the architectural enthusiast: An exclusive “behind-the-scenes” tour of the Calhoun Mansion.
For the romantic: A morning or afternoon of horseback riding along the beach at Seabrook Island.
For the adventurer: A private flying tour, either by Cessna or helicopter.
For the historian: Explore African-American history in the Lowcountry and the surrounding sea islands with a private Gullah driving tour.
For the foodie: Enjoy the top culinary destination in the nation with a personalized culinary walking tour of local restaurants and neighborhoods.
For a special occasion: Savor a private dinner in a historic home with a famous local chef.
Whether you’re the type of traveler to follow an adventurous itinerary or if your ideal vacation only requires a few beach chairs and catching up on some R&R, the concierge team at Belmond Charleston Place wants to make your stay in Charleston a journey like no other. Download our Concierge’s Top Hidden things to do in Charleston list here, see our sample itineraries for Charleston here, or call us at 843 722 4900 today to start planning your next unforgettable trip to Charleston!