Upon arrival at Belmond Charleston Place, you are instantly transported to a magical, timeless place in the heart of historic downtown Charleston. With so much to see and do right out the front doors of the hotel, there is no better place to enjoy your time in the Holy City. Wander the historic streets to discover these fun activities and more.
- Take a horse-drawn carriage for a tour of Charleston’s narrow streets lined with beautifully preserved buildings from the colonial and antebellum periods.
- Stroll through The Battery or White Point Gardens, where pirates once dangled from the gallows, for spectacular views of the harbor, the sunset and Fort Sumter.
- Browse local artisan crafts while wandering through the Historic Charleston City Market. Then meander the streets where you’ll discover many boutiques, art galleries, and antique shops.
- Explore Catfish Row, the inspiration for America’s first opera, “Porgy and Bess”, where vendors once peddled their produce along the roadside. Now private homes and specialty shops line the area.
- Visit Charleston Museum, the country’s first and oldest, which interprets the natural history of the Lowcountry through artifacts, treasures and exhibits.
- Discover Rainbow Row, the name for a series of colorful, historic Georgian houses on East Bay Street. You won’t want to forget your camera to capture the homes wondrous hues.
The best way to explore Charleston is by foot, and there’s no better location than starting at Belmond Charleston Place. Enjoy a leisurely stroll throughout the cobblestone streets and winding alleys, and take in all the sites downtown has to offer.